Salt, Pepper & Garlic Squid
- 1/2 c vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 tbl dehydrated garlic chips or garlic powder
- 1 tbl salt flakes
- 1/2 tbl pepper corns
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1/2 c rice flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 2 squid tubes, quartered and scored
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Using a mortar and pestle grind the dehydrated garlic chips, salt and pepper into a fine mixture. Taste and adjust the quantities to suit your personal taste. Mix in the Chinese five spice and transfer to a bowl containing the rice flour.
- Coat the quartered squid tubes in the egg white and then the spiced flour mixture.
- Place the squid into the hot oil. Cook until golden brown. Remove and drain. Serve with lemon wedges.
I sometimes adjust this recipe to suit the kids by using panko crumbs. In which case, I would coat the squid with the spiced rice flour mixture, dip into the egg mixture, then roll in panko crumbs. The kids love this variation!