Labne with Garlic and Herbs
Last year Rosie from Laguna Earth House taught me how to make Labne. It is so simple (and much cheaper!) to make that I haven’t bought it since. I don’t have a fixed recipe because it is so simple and you can have it anyway you like.
- 1 tub of natural yogurt. The size of the tub with depend on whether you want a little or a lot. For this recipe I used a 600ml tub of Greek yogurt
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- Mixed herbs
- Olive oil. How much you need will depend upon how many Labne balls you make.
- Place the natural yogurt in a muslin cloth or tea towel. I used a ham bag this time and it worked really well. Tie string around the top of the bag and hang it in a pest free area. In the winter time I hang mine in the kitchen over the sink. But today because it is so hot I put it in the fridge. Make certain you place a bowl under the bag to catch the whey. Don’t be tempted to squeeze the bag to hasten the process, be patient and let the whey drip out naturally. Leave for 12 to 24 hours.
- Once the whey has been extracted the yogurt will be dryer and a little crumbly. Remove from the bag and start to roll into balls. I rolled some of mine in mixed herbs and left some plain. Place on grease proof paper and place in the fridge to dry out a little.
- Remove from fridge and submerge in a olive oil, garlic cloves and any other herbs you have in the garden. I added some bay leaves and chilli to my pot.
- Eat and enjoy!