Dehydrated Garlic Chips
As the Australian garlic season starts to draw to a close it is a good time to think about how you are going to preserve Australian garlic for the winter. One method is to preserve your garlic in vinegar or you can make garlic chips. Below is how I make garlic chips.
- Firstly you need to peel your garlic. There are several different methods to peel garlic when you want to peel bulk quantities.
- Once your garlic is peeled you need to slice it finely. You can do this either with a sharp knife or use a food processor.
- Place your sliced garlic in a food dehydrator and follow the instructions for your machine. I find that it takes at least 12 hours so it is best to plan ahead. There is nothing worse than having to get up at 1am in the morning to check your garlic!
- To test that your garlic is ready, simply break it in half. If it snaps like a crisp then it is ready, if it bends then you need to leave it a little longer.
- Once your garlic is ready, let it cool and then place it in an airtight container. Remember to store it in your cupboard, not in the fridge.
- Use your garlic chips like regular garlic and add it to your favourite meals.